The Ponte San Leopoldo or Ponte alla Vittoria was erected in 1835. An iron suspension bridge it was built by order of Leopold II and joined three important provinces (Pisa, Livorno and Pistoia). Each metal pillar was topped by a marble finial and lions guarded the entrance to the bridge. When the Lorraine dynasty ended the bridge was named simply 'Suspension'. It was renamed Vittoria at the end of the First World War after the Battle of Vittorio Veneto. The Nazis destroyed it during the Second World War and it was subsequently rebuilt in its current guise.
Private Collection, Germany