The painting is unlined and on its original canvas and in its original gilded Empire frame. The picture is also extensively inscribed 'au verso'.
"san Cosimat / couvente de religieuses / près Tivoli. Dept / de Rome"
" César van LOO. Paintre de la / Ci devant accadémie Royale / de Paris"
The Convent still stands today but it is now a hospital in a a largely residential area and has changed somewhat since van Loo painted it. Originally it was founded by the Benedictine Order in the 10th century, but in 1234 it became a nunnery. At the time that van Loo painted it, it was a summer residence for the Colonna family.
Private Collection, France